The truth is that not all water filters are equal, and not all filter types are beneficial.
Understanding which type of filter works best for your water is vital before making that purchase.
Check out this guide to the best types of home water filter systems.
By understanding which type of water filter you need, not only will you save money, but you'll also avoid the headache of buying the wrong filter for your water supply.
1. APEC Water Systems ROES-PH75 Essence Series Top Tier Alkaline Mineral pH+ 75 GPD 6-Stage Certified Ultra Safe Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System
- High-quality reverse osmosis system
- Comes with a 5-year limited warranty
- The customer support team is well-trained, polite, and patient
- Can easily be installed in the kitchen sink without using up a lot of space
- Can last for more than 6 years
- A bit more expensive than other comparable products
- The handle design looks somewhat cheap
The APEC Water Systems ROES-PH75 is an upgrade of its cheaper option. It’s a high-quality reverse osmosis drinking water filter system. It comes with a 5-year limited warranty and is an ideal option for a home with a large family or individuals who need to use a lot of water or have compromised immune systems.
The APEC ROES-PH75 is easy to install under your kitchen sink without taking up a lot of space. Compared to the APEC ROES-50, it comes with a larger membrane and filter, with an increased flow rate of 50 gallons per day. Also, its faucet is quieter, plus it has a special alkaline mineral component.
2. CuZn UC-200 Under Counter Water Filter
With a 50 gallon capacity, you can turn any faucet into a potable water supply. Without having to plug this water filter into a wall, you can easily attach it between the water source and your sink.
The CuZn UC-200 features an alkaline shock that is beneficial for improving the PH levels in your tap water … and it can be installed with a universal inline system that doesn’t require any drilling, plumbing, or tools!
This filter also removes chloramines, mercury, lead, asbestos and 98.5% of other chemical, organic, and sedimentary contaminants found in your tapwater.
3. 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Sanitary Quick Change Water Filter System AP903
- Filter Life: 10,000 gallons
- Easy to replace
- 3 micron sediment filter
- 3 million gallons for filter life
- Includes UV light and sediment prefilter for added protection
- 3 year limited warranty
- Removes chlorine, dirt, sediment, sediment, cysts, lead, asbestos, lindane, atrazine, benzene, cadmium, MTBE, and radon
- Easy to install
- Heavy plastic smell upon arrival
- Took 2 days to completely remove the bad odor
- UV light may not be as strong as claimed
- With the UV light being in a separate fixture, it is possible that it knock over
Lead, Turbidity and Cysts.
This type of home water filter system is connected directly to your drinking water line in between your main shutoff valve and your tap. Bypass water filters are great because you can see how often you have to change the filter, and you only have to replace it once (assuming your existing pipes are lead-free). Like other types of water filters, this method of filtering can remove many contaminants that result from chemical manufacturing, ageing plumbing, or general impurities in the water supply. If you want a permanent solution to your water problems, then a bypass filter is right for you.
4. Sawyer Products MINI Water Filtration System
- Super small and lightweight
- Does not require batteries
- Only suitable for one person, depending on capacity
- Does not purify water
The Sawyer Products MINI Water Filtration System is a tiny water filter that is perfect for one person. The kit includes the filter, a drinking pouch, and a cleaning plunger. What’s great about this filter is that it doesn’t need any batteries. It works with water pressure.
The filter is composed of a fine mesh screen that is capable of blocking even the tiniest microorganisms. This is accomplished by using a 0.01 micron hollow-fiber membrane system.
You can get clean water as long as you have a swift flow of water. Plus, there’s a micro-screen at the exit end of the filter that stops any debris from being distributed.
5. Apex Countertop Drinking Water Filter
- Attractive design
- Easy to install
- Simple to use
- Very affordable
- Removes up to 99% of chemicals and heavy metals
- 100-pound water-efficient system
- Long-lasting performance
- Removes unwanted chlorine and other contaminants
- Environmentally friendly
- Excellent customer service
- Can’t be used with hot water
- Takes up a lot of space
- Chlorine not completely removed in cold water
- Doesn’t get rid of enough harmful chemicals
- Tends to shorten the lifespan of appliances in the house
The Apex Countertop Drinking Water Filter is a compact, affordable, high-efficiency filtration system that helps keep your water and home squeaky clean. It’s low-maintenance, takes up one square foot of your counter space, and it’s easy to install.
This versatile water filter can be fitted onto your faucet or mounted under the sink. And it removes up to 99% of chemicals and heavy metals like chlorine, fertilizers, metals, as well as asbestos, lead, herbicides, pesticides, and more. You can hook it up to your cold water tap, or your hot water line.
6. PUR FM-3700 Advanced Faucet Water Filter
- PUR Faucet Filter is easy to install
- The filter comes out clean with each removal
- Faucet filters are more economical than whole house filters
- You don’t have to let it run for long
- The filter eliminates up to 98% of lead
- The filter only works at one faucet
- The filter doesn’t remove chlorine
Water filtration technology has progressed significantly in the past few decades. From pitchers to whole house systems, technology has come a long way. Undoubtedly, the most advanced water filtration method is the faucet mounted filter. Available in three types – under sink, countertop and faucet-mounted.
Faucet mounted filters are more economical and are easy to install. They allow you to purify drinking water right at the point of use. Most faucet-mounted filters provide better filtration than pitchers for a few gallons of drinking water.
When it comes to faucet mounted filters, our top pick is the PUR FM-3700 Advanced Faucet Water Filter. This filter is easy to use and you don’t need to let it run for hours to get clean drinking water.
7. Aquasana EQ-WELL-UV-PRO-AST Whole House Well Water Filter System
- Easy set-up (under 1 hour)
- The double filter system reduces odors and chlorine, while producing clean fresh water
- Can be attached to a refrigerator to reduce chemical taste (instructions provided)
- The UV light kills bacteria and viruses to make sure you don’t get sick
- Support offered by the company is exceptional
- The fitting is not compatible with every type of faucet
- The water is a little heavy
This whole-house well water filtration system is setup is a super easy process. It can be attached to your faucet by either putting the hose on the faucet and letting the water flow into the Pitcher or attaching the hose to the faucet and letting the water travel through the UV light before flowing into the Pitcher.
In addition, there’s an adapter with stopper that allows you to attach the water filter to the fridge you have at home. Since the refrigerator water filter can remove the chlorine from the water, the UV light of the Aquasana EQ-WELL-UV-PRO-AST can eliminate bacteria and viruses.
8. Filtrete Advanced Undersink Water Filtration System
- Minimized chances of water contamination
- Removes 99% of Chlorine Odor & Tastes and over 97% of Particulates
- Easily connects to your faucet
- Easy to install and maintain
80% of all bottled water in the US is purified tap water. Therefore, most bottled water is nothing more than purified tap water.
There are many purification methods available. The most common purification methods used today are reverse osmosis and distillation.
Distillation is a process in which water is heated to a point where it vaporizes. A stream of cool air is then blown across the top of the now vapor, causing it to condense back into liquid form.
9. Big Berkey Gravity-Fed Water Filter
- Water tastes cleaner
- No proprietary parts
- Not overly complex
- Easy to refill
- No power supply or filters required
- It doesn’t waste space
- Easy to maintain
- Affordable upfront costs
- Cleaning takes more time than competing filters
- Lid stays open
- Design is less sleek than competitors
- The filters need to be cleaned often to remove sediment and bugs
- Lacks the filter life
Big Berkey’s continue to be popular, with a good amount of customer reviews advocating for their use.
This model vaulted to the top of the water filter rating system because of its simple, effective design.
10. Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
- BPA Free
- 5-stage filter removes Coliforms, Cysts (Giardia, Cryptosporidium), Solvents (Pesticides, Herbicides), Hydrides, VOCs, Trihalomethanes, Pathogenic Microorganisms, Fluoride and Lead
- Filters up to 100 gallons
- Zero Waste Design, save more plastic water bottles
- Full Description of how Aquagear filters tap water
- Great for all pet and family friendly situations
- Easy, fill-to-pour spout. You can actually take a sip of water WHILE filling the container
- Reusable – turn any bottle into a 50 oz reusable water bottle
- Award-winning customer service
- No electricity, no fluoride, no chlorine, no chemical dyes, no BPA (or the risk of BPA exposure)
- Does not remove microbiologicals (Cryptosporidium, Giardia)
- Not the best for very low mineral content water (up to a few ppm)
5 Stage Filter Pitcher with Easy Fill Spout, Reusable 18.9oz Sports Bottle, Filter with Carbon for Drinking, Fruit & Veggie Filtration, Family Friendly and Pet Safe with 2-Year Warranty
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are the best whole house water filtration systems?
The best water filter system you can get is one that filters the water on the way in and on the way out.
You want to filter your water when it enters your home and, ideally, you want to filter the water before it is actually used for drinking. Not every home has the luxury of point of entry water filtration systems, like a triple filter arrangement on your main water line going into your house. If that isn’t the case, your next best bet is to try and filter the water on the way out. Under-sink filters have been getting more and more efficient and affordable as the years go on.
How do I choose a whole house water filter?
Choosing the right whole house water filter is determined by several factors, the first of which being what kind of water you currently have. If you have extremely hard water then a whole house water filter is probably a good idea. This is because it’ll take out more stuff, such as iron, than a water softener.
What is the best water purifier for home use?
Our main goal should be to filter out any harmful minerals, chemicals or bacteria. To do that, you have to use a water purification and mineral filtration system. I’m not sure there is anything better than reverse osmosis. There are many knock-offs. Regardless, the easiest and most efficient method is located under your sink. It is more affordable; the parts are simpler and more durable; it has higher filtering capacity; and cost of home reverse osmosis is less expensive to manufacture and install.
We made it easy for you to compare the best types of best home water filter systems of 2021 by checking all of the important factors on the comparison table we made for you. Take a look and see which of the best water filtration systems is right for you.