Earlier this year I took a look at some of the best water cameras to use when you’re by the pool or in the sea. However, if you’re looking for a camera that you can take underwater and also use on land, this is the place to be.
Many people love to take pictures when they’re out on holiday. It’s a great way to capture the memories and show your friends and family the trip you’ve been on.
If you want to stay above water when you’re on your trip why not check out a few of the best underwater cameras of 2019.
1. AKASO EK7000 4K WiFi Sports Action Camera Ultra HD Waterproof DV Camcorder 12MP 170 Degree Wide Angle
This underwater camera comes with a 2 inch LCD screen to preview your pictures and videos, and an HDMI port to connect to external monitors and projectors. It supports up to 64GB cards.
2. GoPro Hero7 Black — Waterproof Action Camera
- Good for beginner and intermediate users
- Fantastic image quality day and night
- Good audio quality
- The touchscreen interface is a nice touch
- Needs an extended battery to last a full-day
- Not as waterproof as advertised
- Can be fairly grainy in low light
In this edition of the Underwater Camera review we’re looking at the GoPro Hero 7 Black. This particular version features a touchscreen interface and stabilization software. The stabilization feature is important on the GoPro 7 since it cannot be used with the separately available dive case.
But if you’ve gotten this far there’s a good chance you know all about the GoPro system. For those that don’t, there are a few things that bear mentioning. First of all, what sets GoPro’s cameras apart from the crowd is the built-in wide-angle lens.
It’s quite different than the fish-eye lenses used in many point-and-shoot cameras. What this means is that it will capture more of the scene as the human eye sees it.
3. APEMAN A79 4K Action Camera 20MP WiFi External Microphone Remote Control Underwater 40M Waterproof Sports Cam
- Great quality video
- Built-in WiFi
- Excellent value
- Nice touch screen
- Smaller and lighter than most competitors
- Has a lot of nice features
- Comes with everything you need to get started – including mounts and carrying case
- Can be a little tricky to set up at first, but thanks to online support it shouldn’t be a problem
- The buttons aren’t as easy to use as they may look
- The camera is a little wide, so you may have to fiddle with attachments a bit to make it fit
Although it lacks the best video quality among the products on this list, the APEMAN A79 is a worthy contender.
And it has one of the best bang for your buck ratings of all time.
4. 【2020 Upgrade】 Campark 4K 20MP Action Camera EIS External Microphone Remote Control WiFi Waterproof Camera
- The built-in 170° ultra wide angle lens ensures you capture more situations compared to traditional action cameras, such as image distortion on the edges, which other cameras usually struggle to capture in the 3K resolution mode.
- The 4K camera also captures an impressive 90 minutes in 60 frames per second mode or 60 minutes in 30 frames per second, both at the highest quality HD setting.
The battery is another impressive part of this camera. You get two lengthy batteries in the box, effectively giving you four times more possibilities to capture your favorite moments. Compared to some other cameras that last a maximum of 3 hours, this camera functions for double that time.
The camera uses a standard point and shoot approach to video and photos. The camera’s user interface is made simple enough that you don’t need to be a professional cinematographer to use it.
The built-in WiFi function also allows you to easily connect with your favorite mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones.
5. Crosstour Action Camera 1080P Full HD Wi-Fi 14MP PC Webcam Waterproof Cam 2" LCD 30m Underwater 170°Wide-Angle Sports Camera
- Lots of accessories included
- The Wi-Fi connection is fast and easy
- The battery life is solid
- The app is easy to navigate
- Responsive and personable customer service
- May be tricky to pair with the third-party app
- Does not include a carrying case
- The overall appearance is a little bland
The Crosstour Action Camera is a competitively priced, waterproof, action-ready camera that has the stunning image quality, and the 1080P Full HD resolution that you expect from a high-quality cam.
What’s great, though, is that it also has Wi-Fi. This means that you can connect it to your smartphone and watch what you’re filming live on the screen. It’s easy to connect, too — just press a button on the side of the cam and search for it on your phone’s Wi-Fi.
6. Dragon Touch 4K Action Camera 16MP Vision 3 Underwater Waterproof Camera PC Webcam 170° Wide Angle WiFi Sports Cam
- Extremely budget-friendly
- 4K video option; can’t get better than that
- Waterproof up to 45m
- Large variety of accessories including a carrying case and remote
- Reasonable battery life
- 480 p quality isn’t very high-quality
- The video resolution isn’t high quality when compared to other options on the market
- The remote control is pretty basic and cheap
Despite the video resolution and lack of accessories, the Dragon Touch 4K action camera is a veritable bargain. It’s hard to come across a decent action camera that’s under 100 dollars, let alone the fact that this one can shoot 4K.
The advanced camera features make recording and taking pictures incredibly simple. You can go shooting underwater and even use it for live streaming, making this one of the best waterproof cameras on the market.
The Dragon Touch 4K action camera comes with a decent amount of accessories including the camera, two batteries, a waterproof case, a remote control, a screen holder and a carrying case. The battery life offers a little over an hour of recording time.
7. Nikon W300 Waterproof Underwater Digital Camera
- Nikon’s superior waterproofing technology makes this camera waterproof to 131 feet
- Freezeproof to 14 degrees Fahrenheit (that’s -10 degrees Celsius)
- This camera brings professional underwater videos closer to home
- It features TruePic VIII Image Processor, a 16MP CMOS sensor, and a 3-inch, 921k dot TFT color display and can comfortably be carried in the palm of your hand.
- It comes with a GoPro mount so you can keep one on your head and one on your wrist underwater
- Takes excellent HD videos
- It’s very easy to use and is great for even the most inexperienced
- It’s lightweight, compact, and the new yellow color makes it easy to spot, even when you’ve dropped it in the water
- The W300 also comes with a wrist strap, a wrist strap mount and a storage case so it’s easy to bring along wherever you want to go
- It has an optical zoom magnification of 2.5X and digital zoom of 6X so you can get nice close-up images of fish, coral, and anything else you want to bring up close to see
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Which underwater camera is best?
Which is the best camera in 2021?
First, let us tell you about the EKEN H9R. This camera has a 4K Ultra HD of it’s two-inch lens is so powerful you can clearly see faces one hundred feet away in the water! It comes fully waterproofed with all the hardware to make it be compatible for a very long time. That means no popping open that enclosure to take a photo, plus it’s outfitted with things that will make it last.
The EKEN H9R also does HD videos at 30 FPS- unheard of for underwater cameras. All your shots will be automatically done with the help of a Depth Auto Adjustment Technology to keep all the best parts in focus too. That combination is hard to beat, especially for the price.
What is the best cheap underwater camera?
The difference between cheap underwater cameras and more expensive ones is that the cheaper ones have less flash memory and are limited to underwater photography. However, for a lot of people, this is perfect because they will just use this camera to take a few underwater snapshots, then move on with their lives.
It may not be a professional camera, but the power of an underwater camera is limited only by its owner’s imagination.
What is the best GoPro camera for underwater?
The GoPro Hero4 black is the most-used GoPro so far and it is still a fantastic underwater camera. You can read more about it at our GoPro Buyer’s Guide. The Hero4 has all the features that you’ll need to capture underwater footage. A range of water cases are also available for the Hero4 if you want to dive or do something really wet with it.
A camera like this is called an “underwater camera” because it’s designed to be waterproof, so people like scuba divers can take pictures underwater. Besides being waterproof, a camera like this needs to be durable and light so that it’s easy to carry. They also need to have the ability to take a wide range of photos including stills, video and action shots.