It’s hot isn’t it? The rising temperatures have finally caught up with us and things are heating up quickly. Some people have already started to push their air conditioners into overdrive to keep the family cool.
But if you live in an apartment or you don’t want to fork out for the impossibly high electricity bills that a full-sized airconditioner might bring you, another option would be to choose a window air conditioner.
These are certainly no replacement for a full air conditioner, but if you want something that you can just plonk in the window they can be a handy addition.
There are plenty of them out there. Below you’ll read my whirlwind tour of some of the best window air conditioners on the market today.
1. Frigidaire FFRS1022R1 10000 BTU 115-volt Slider/Casement Room Full-Function Remote Control Window Air Conditioner
- 55 decibel rating is very quiet
- Sleek, compact, and stylish design
- High-tech digital display
- Also comes in a 12,000 btu model
- Auto-sensing operation automatically adjusts to the right temp for your desired comfort
- Software makes for easy customization
- Automatic easy-access louvers and two intuitive manual settings
- Works with Alexa
- Costs more than most window units
- Lacks the remote control that comes with the higher-watts model
Frigidaire has managed to create a super compact window A/C unit with all of the bells and whistles a person could want.
Packing 10,000 btu, it comes with huge cooling power and has some great features like auto-sensing operation, which will keep you comfortable no matter what the weather is like outside.
It has a dual fan speed setting with 4 temperature settings and a temperature setting range of 60 to 72 degrees. And before he whole thing breaks or malfunctions you’ll get a system warning and a 3-year parts warranty.
2. LG LW8016ER 8,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Remote Control Air Conditioner
- One of the best energy-efficient models
- Highly portable and compact; can fit almost anywhere
- 115V operation without the need for additional converters
- Has functions like a sleep mode and a timer for convenience
- The 24-hour on/off timer is useful if you’re going on vacation
- Cooling capacity is pretty powerful – 8,000 BTU
- The remote control allows you to control the temperature and fan speed anywhere in the room
- Noise level isn’t too loud
- Customer service is very responsive
- Installation is pretty easy
- A few buyers had technical difficulties
- The air conditioner is so powerful that it caused the voltage to drop, which in turn caused the power to go out
- It’s a bit too expensive
- It’s not mobile like a traditional air conditioner
LG’s LW8016ER 8,000 BTU Is a fantastic choice if you want to cool your room down fast and at a very reasonable price.
3. Friedrich Chill CP06G10B 6000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
110-120 Volts, No Cords or Hoses.
If you’re looking for a portable air conditioner, you might want to look at the Friedrich Chill 6000 BTU window air conditioner – the perfect marriage between energy efficiency and cooling capacity.
This compact air conditioner comes in two colors – white and silver. The silver variant seems more like a space heater. It’s also a bit more lightweight than the white option.
4. Frigidaire 5,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Mini-Compact Air Conditioner
- Great for cooling small spaces
- Quiet and energy efficient
- Won’t take space in your room
- Very affordable
One of the biggest complaints about portable units, whether they’re window, or tabletop, is they’re so noisy. Frigidaire thought about that and did what they could. They produced an incredibly quiet AC unit, that’s also energy efficient and features a 2.5-gallon water tank.
The 5,000 BTUs won’t cool a big room, but will easily cool a room up to 150 square feet. You can also use it efficiently during the winter months.
And if you have a small apartment, dorm room or RV, you simply can’t get a better deal. It’s compact and can easily fit through a small window, without removing the window treatments.
5. Arctic King WWK05CM91N Window Air Conditioner
- The 15,000 BTU is enough to cool a medium to large sized room
- Comes in white
- Very affordable and reliable
- It’s very lightweight and portable
- Easy to set up and move around
- 5 year compressor warranty
- Energy Star rated
- High energy efficiency for the unit…s size
- Dehumidifier conserves moisture (Dry Cool)
- Doesn’t cool a larger room very well; this is probably due to it having a very small evaporator
- Fan can be extremely loud when set on…Fan Heat
- LED display is extremely dim; hard to read and see the temperature
The Arctic King 15,000 BTU window air conditioner is an affordable, reliable, and powerful unit that will ensure your home stays cool on warm summer days.
The dual louver window kit allows for installation in different ways and with different windows.
It’s very lightweight and compact, which makes it very useful for temporary use (such as in the living or family room during a party) as well as for permanent installation.
6. Koldfront 12,000 BTU 220V Heat/Cool Window Air Conditioner
- Suitable for small-to-medium sized rooms
- ETL/CETL Approved
- Compact Design
- Energy Efficient
- Poor Installation/Customer Service Exposures
- Difficulty In Changing Filters
Despite a few small problems, the Koldfront 12,000 BTU 220V Heat/Cool Window Air Conditioner proves to be a good choice.
It’s easy to use, has a remote, and uses electricity well.
Also, it’s compact and can fit in most windows and has an Energy Star rating.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best window air conditioner brand?
The brand of window air conditioner that you choose to buy will determine how effectively your air conditioner cools your home. Some manufacturers have a great reputation of creating AC units that are among the most cost effective and energy efficient on the market. Others are known for producing more expensive units, which do not perform as well as the cheaper available units.
When you are searching for a new window air conditioner, you should find out which brands are the best on the market. Then you will know which brands you should avoid. This article lists the 5 best window air conditioner brands in America.
Where is the best place to put a window air conditioner?
The best place to put a window air conditioner is almost always an out-of-the-way, shaded place. Window air conditioners are like mini-humans; they like their space and their comfort. They’ll rapidly warm up your space if they’re placed in a sunny window and, worse, they’ll often blow the heating out of whatever room they’re in.
Do window air conditioners work well?
Yes, window air conditioners work very well. Because they mount in your window, they efficiently cool a specific room of your house. Meanwhile, the rest of the house is unaffected.
The downside to window air conditioners are their size and bulk. If you want to cool your entire house, a central air conditioning unit may be more appropriate. Before buying a window AC unit, ask yourself:
- Is it hot?
- Do I need to cool off a specific room or two?
If you want to just cool off one room, a window AC unit is perfect. AC units are also the best choice for an office or a studio apartment.
What is the most efficient window air conditioner?
The most efficient window air conditioner is one of the Energy Star models. These are rated for energy efficiency and save you big boots on your utility bills.
Having said that, the highest rated Energy Star window air conditioner has an EER of just 11 and that is 2-4 times lower than a comparable capacity split system model. This is the same thing as comparing a car that gets 18 miles per gallon to one that gets 200 miles per gallon.
Feel that chill coming on this summer? Then you’re likely in the market for a new air conditioning unit. But with all the options available in the market and at retail, how are you going to choose the right one? Should you go for top of the line? Or is the basic unit you have been using for the last years good enough? This article will guide you in your AC choices, making life easier for you. Go through it to make an informed decision.