One of the least glamorous aspects of the home improvement is the fact that you have to block the windows. This is easier said than done because you have to settle for what fits the dimensions on your window and still blocks the light appropriately.
One of the biggest concerns homeowners have is privacy.
Let me show you what I found with the top 8 best window film for privacy together with what to consider when buying window film.
Here are the best window film best deals for privacy in 2021.
1. Coavas Window Film Privacy Static Clings Herringbone Simple Geometric Glass Film Frosted Window Stickers
- Comes with a 10-year limited warranty
- Helps keep out 95% of digital UV rays for eye protection
- The installation is very quick and easy
- It doesn’t fall off easily
- It’s very affordable for people of all budget and financial situations
- It comes with static cling for ease of installation.
- It eliminates all side visibility, ensuring complete privacy
- Allows you to open and close blinds easily
- You can customize it to fit your requirements
- Can be used for most types of windows
Coavas static cling window film has been the best reviewed of all the window films on this list. With over 250 reviews, it averages 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
This window film is perfect for giving your home a touch of privacy. The film is composed of non UV ray blocking material, these give you privacy during the day and night.
2. Privacy Window Film: Translucent Static Cling Treatment
- Permanent application
- Removes easy without residue
- Cannot be repositioned
- Not entirely see-through
Privacy Window film is a permanent application of privacy window film, making it an excellent choice to keep unwanted views out of your home. These films help to block glare and minimize privacy issues with light, while still allowing light in.
This product is static cling, making it easy to install and perfect for a DIYer. It removes without residue and is ideal for glass, mirrors, and smooth plastic. Just make sure your surface is clean and free of dust or dirt.
Unfortunately these films can be hard to find and a bit expensive when you do. Desired Home offers them in smaller quantities which makes it easier to replace.
3. rabbitgoo 3D Decorative Window Film
- Easy to apply
- Can be removed and replaced
- Helps maintain privacy
- No airborne bubbles
- Superior quality
- Slightly expensive
- A bit challenging to apply
- It’s manufactured in China, which means the labels are Chinese and the instructions are in Chinese
The rabbitgoo Privacy Window Film is a relatively new product manufactured by Perfect Green. According to its manufacturer, you can apply it in just 20 minutes without any bubbles.
The film is sectional, which means that you can cut it to fit your window perfectly. Unlike the static seals on some other products, this one’s movable, which makes it easier to use.
You can use the film on your window glass indoors or outdoors. But if the window is outside, on your house’s facade, you should take care of the rain.
4. ARTSCAPE Texture Twelve Window Film 36" x 72"
- The textured surface disguises scratches and smudges
- Prevents ultraviolet rays from reaching your vehicle's interior (and in turn protects your seats, dash, and floor boards)
- Covers a much larger surface area than tint alone
- Keeps your vehicle cooler than tint alone
- Lasts 5-7 years longer than mirrored films
- Made in the USA
- Automotive-grade quality
- Might be difficult to find
- Projects UV rays when installed over metallic paint
- A bit expensive
If you're looking for a durable film that provides privacy and UV protection, you're in luck. The ARTSCAPE 12 by 48" blocks light like tint while avoiding that mirrored look.
Many security window films are tinted, but will turn purple or a similar color after awhile when exposed to the sun. This block window film won't do that. The textured surface gives the illusion of privacy without showing smudges or scratches.
Best of all, its nearly impossible to tell this is window film because of the way it transforms sunlight.
5. VELIMAX Static Cling Total Blackout Window Film Privacy Room Darkening Window Tint Black Window Cover 100% Light Blocking No Glue
- Easy to apply, no glue or tools required
- Total blackout privacy
- May help keep rooms cooler & reduce cooling costs
- Ideal for home, dorm, hotel, motel, or classroom use
- Short lifespan
- May not help keep rooms warmer in winters
- Can be difficult to remove if you don’t like the way the window film looks
The VELIMAX Static Cling Total blackout window film from Safe View Films provides total and complete day and night privacy. It’s a wonderful option for people looking to achieve complete privacy on their windows – especially in bedrooms and hotel or motel rooms.
This is perfect for homes, dorm rooms, hotels, motels, or even classrooms too. It comes in one large 17.7 x 78.7-inch piece per package, making it easy to cut to size and apply. Once applied it works to block out 100% of all visible light from the outside.
The difficulty of removing the window film if you don’t like the way it looks on your window is something to consider. However, the benefits of this window film are vast if you’re looking for complete privacy in most rooms.
6. HIDBEA One Way Window Film Non-Adhesive
- You can use the film on the outside of your windows to increase privacy even when the sun is shining
- Results are visually stunning
- Safe for people and pets
- The adhesive is amazing.
- Cleanup is quick and easy.
- This window film comes in many colors to fit your style.
- The edges of the film are rounded to eliminate the sharp corners.
- The adhesive on this film is awesome.
- Installs in minutes.
- The stickiness of the film is great.
- The instructions to install the film are only in pictures and not in words
- It is not half as easy as advertised
- This stuff is nearly impossible to remove.
- You have to have a spare window to practice on.
- No instructions for removal.
7. Window Film One Way Mirror Film Daytime Privacy Static Non-Adhesive Decorative Heat Control Anti UV Window Tint
- Suitable for indoor or outdoor use
- Easy to install, no heat required
- Available in a variety of sizes and sheet amounts
- Easy to clean
- Only blackout at night and in dark rooms
- Static cling installation can leave remnants on windows
- Not suitable for dark tint on all-glass windows
With window film, you can make your home or the office more secure, stylish, and energy efficient. They allow you to switch between daytime privacy and night time blackout windows quickly and easily.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Does window film provide privacy at night?
Yes. Film can be either transparent by day and reflective by night or reflective by day and transparent by night. The kind of film you choose for your house depends on your needs and aesthetic preferences. Low-E window film is best if you want your rooms to stay as warm as possible in winter. And, when warm weather comes around, it’s better to let the sun’s rays in to heat up your home.
Is there a window film you can see out but not in?
This is generally accomplished by the use of an annealed edge film. The material has a clear layer of plastic on the outside … and a light frosted appearance from the inside. It gives your home a finished professional look and seeing out is no problem but it doesn’t allow light to bleed through the edges.
What can I put on my windows so I can see out but no one can see in?
As long as your windows are clean, simple tint will do the trick. You just need to remember to apply it on the outside of the glass. This is the only exception to the clear window principle.
If you want an even better solution, consider applying blackout film or repainting the window instead. The fancy blackout film preserves your privacy at night while allowing more light through during the day. Repainting the outside of the window can be even easier than tinting, but it will cost a little bit more and take a little more time.
What is the best window film for privacy?
While this is open to debate, there are several things that are true of 90% of privacy window films. If you want complete privacy you must get a film that blocks both UVA and UVB rays. The film should be easy to install and should be able to be removed if you decide to move to a new location. Any reputable film is going to be highly reflective which is good for protecting the interior of your home, but that also means it’s harder to see in at night even with lights on.
If you want your privacy film to be as see-through as possible, you may consider using a tinting film instead. This is a thin, one-time application onto your window to accomplish similar goals.
Window tinting and film today has evolved to become the most effective and affordable solution for all of your privacy needs than ever before. It’s now available in a plethora of options that not only suits every budget, but every need of yours from home, to the office, and virtually any other place.